background

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Brighton Blade 12-31-08

(I will enter a post with resolutions later today, for now here is the article.)

Three things have made a big impression on my life this year. One, is that I made a New Year's Resolution to read through the Bible in a year and completed the task. Second, I read a book called "The Next Thing on My List" by Jill Smolinski which is about a girl making and completing a list before her 25th birthday. Last, I watched the Bucket List which is about two men who have been given approximately six months to live and they create a list of things to do before they "kick the bucket."

I have asked many friends and family what they would put on their list. I have heard answers from climbing Mount Everest to eating a big greasy meal without feeling any guilt. There are those that think that the list should only be made with your financial means taken into consideration. Then, there are those like myself, who think that you should dream the impossible and have a couple things on the list that might or might not ever be accomplished but always give you something to strive for.

You can do a New Year's list and it would have to be completed before the end of next year. My sister likes the idea of picking a milestone birthday, the next big one on your horizon. Or, you could dream big and make a list that needs to be done before you die which allows the list to be much longer.

I am a goal oriented person and have chosen to do a New Year's List. I also like being able to cross things off my list as quickly as possible so only allowing myself a short period of time is more fun for me. So, here are a few things on my list.

1. Use cash only!
2. See Old Faithful at Yellowstone.
3. See Mount Rushmore.
4. Find a hobby for ME...knitting, sewing or quilting.
5. Try waitressing; I've always wanted to try it...call me if you're interested!
6. Do a daily devotional.
7. Meet my new niece and great niece that is on the way (both in Canada).
8. Laugh with my husband and kids everyday!
9. Find a part time job that I love and works with my family's schedule.
10. Make a best friend in Colorado.

I think the thing that hit me the strongest while watching The Bucket List was that I don't want to get to the end of my life and feel like I didn't live life to the fullest. So, while I want a list of things to look forward to and to bring added bonuses to my life, I am still choosing to live in the life that I have here and now. As the old saying goes "Live well. Laugh often. Love much." So, my biggest piece of advice is that if there is something on your list about making amends, giving forgiveness or loving someone better...start with those. As you get to the end of your list you'll realize that the true joys in life are found closest to you.

Happy New Year!
And check out the blog to see a list of 100 Things I Did This Year! (And I only had one thing on my list!).

No comments: