background

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Squeezing It In

Today was one of those days that I started to worry about when I would run yesterday!  I'm up and have  my kids at school by 7:40am.  I worked from 8-3.  Picked up kids and got home at 3:40.  Then I had meetings tonight from 5-7:30.  And my running schedule said I had to get in 4 miles of hills.  Ummm...and just where was I supposed to do that?!!

Priorities.  I hate that word sometimes.

For that blessed hour that I had at home I decided to do 3 miles of hills.  I called in a pizza for my kids for dinner.  And I had the fastest shower in the world and made it to the meetings on time. 

I hated all the time that I missed with my kids today.

Then I remember the message this weekend at church about fighting for the call instead of giving in to the emotion.  I do spend A LOT of time with my kids.  This was one night.  And I want to show my kids that when you want something that you should work hard for it.  They are helping me cross days off my training schedule and they are cheering me on the whole time.  How could I just not do it?

So I didn't get in the full 4 miles.  But I got 3 miles.  Of hills.  And it was 88 degrees outside at the time.  I think it all evened out!

It is so easy to give up on ourselves and say that other things are more important.  And other things are more important than one run.  But in the overall picture you have to have balance.  And at the end of this week I will have spent enough time with my kids for each of them to feel loved.  And in the few hours I took for myself to work out, I will have also taught them about determination and discipline.  And how better to teach than to model.

And when I got home from my meetings my daughter showed me her outline for a paper she has to write on someone that inspires her.  She picked me!!  My heart overfloweth!

And then I stop beating myself up for taking time out for my run today. 

No comments: