background

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Scattered Thoughts of a Runner

It's Sunday morning and I was not at church.  I was on my treadmill instead.  I think about God a lot when I run.  I thank Him for this body that I once believed was flawed and incapable of running.  I ask Him why things are happening in my life.  I praise Him for my family that drives me half crazy all the time. I am truly thankful that He meets me on the treadmill even though I don't show up to meet him when I feel like I'm supposed to.

However...I have had a bit of a problem with organized church for a while.  Please don't read this wrong...I believe church is a wonderful place and many people meet God there and feed their relationship with Him there.  But for me...I feel like I'm being fake.  I'm putting on my nice clothes, pasting my happy-family-smiles on myself and my children and I'm tithing, singing and worshiping because I'm being told to.  Even when they partake of the Lord's supper...I have not done it lately because it feels like I'm doing what I'm being told to do instead of doing it when God tells me.

I want to talk to God when I feel like it.  Sometimes when I have friends over and we are laughing and having a good time, that's when I feel like remembering the Lord's supper...breaking bread with friends and family.  I believe that I should be tithing but does that always mean to the church?  Shouldn't it also be to my neighbor, my friends, my family when they are struggling to make ends meet.  I understand that then I get the recognition but it is not that "I" give it to them...I explain my tithing and that it is through God and following His direction that I am able to give.  Isn't this all church too?  We are always being told that church is not a building, that WE, the people, are the church...so can't all this be seen as part of God's plan.  Should I really be feeling this guilty every time I don't make it to church on a Sunday morning??

This morning while I was talking to God on my treadmill I felt God leading me on a journey.  I am on a 12 week half marathon running plan and I really felt God telling me that I am going on a 12 week "God plan" also.  

I have made a decision to blog my journey from very average runner to half marathon runner.  I love all these ideas and thoughts that I have while running and I thought it would be fun to share them and for me to have a recollection of this adventure. 

Today ended week one of training and I did things a bit different.  First of all, I followed a plan.  People have asked what plan and it is just something I found on Pinterest.  There are a million plans out there but this one really caught my eye because it gives me 2 rest days a week (something I rarely give myself!) and a cross training day.  That means only 4 days of running a week.  It will strengthen my muscles and give me the endurance I need to complete the half.  You can go see the plan here: http://pinterest.com/pin/45387908717313244/

Normally I constantly increase my pace when I'm running.  I always start at 11 minute miles and end at 10 minute miles or slightly faster.  Today was my long run and so I just ran at 11 minute miles the whole time and it was super easy.  It was only 4 miles but normally I push myself through the whole thing.  To sit back and just enjoy the run at a nice pace felt really good and I felt fantastic, not half dead, when it was over.  I will try to remember this for all of my Sunday long runs.

Usually I don't eat before morning runs because I don't have time to eat, let it settle, then run before the kids need me.  Today I had a few things to do so I ate a muffin and drank a medium Starbuck's Mocha (and I don't normally drink coffee!).  This could have also helped with the run feeling much easier.  I'll have to test the theory and maybe use it on race day.

Well, those are my thoughts from today's run.  A little scattered like the title suggested.  Can't wait to look back and read over these when The Half is over!  Have a blessed Sunday and Keep Running!

Krista

No comments: