background

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

AYF, Tempo, Fartlek Oh My!!

So, I'm following this plan and having to learn the lingo of runners.  I may have been running for 3 years but there was no rhyme or reason to it....now I seem to be getting schooled!

Today was supposed to be a 3 mile tempo run.  On the sheet a tempo run is described as a run "slightly slower than your 10K pace or at an RPE (rate of perceived exertion) of about 7 to 8."  Well when I ran my only 10K I averaged a 11:38 mile.  On the treadmill I never run slower than an 11 minute mile.  So it was hard for me to understand what to do.  Instead I looked ahead and saw that next Tuesday I have to do fartlek/intervals.

Fartleks?  Really?  I can't even say that without giggling!!

Fartlek/intervals is described as alternating "between faster running and recovery walk/jogs. For a fartlek use a variety of distances (for example, a half mile at a hard pace and a quarter mile at an easy one).  For intervals use a specific time (for example 2 minute sprints at an RPE of 8 with 2 minutes of recovery at an RPE of 3)  Use a mix of these speeds throughout the plan.,"

Today I decided to try fartleks for 3 miles.

I ran an 11 minute mile for the first mile.  In the second mile I ran half a mile at a 10 minute, then half a mile at an 11 minute.  For the last mile I did half a mile at 10 minute, a quarter mile at 11 minute and finished the last quarter with a 10 minute.

I was sweating like a beast!

And I loved it!

This morning started out sucky because I slept later than I wanted to, then wanted to go back to sleep.  I have been having on and off back pain for a few months now and it's been bothering me the past couple of days.  But...I got up and ran.  And I killed it.  And now I know today is going to be fantastic.  And the best part....tomorrow is a mandatory rest day and the last day of summer for my kids.  Nothing but fun for the next 36 hours!

Happy Running!

Oh, I just realized I put AYF in the title...it means As You Feel.  So you can choose your run pace that day. 

Be blessed!

No comments: