background

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Winter Park, Snow, Sliding and Even a Date!

On Friday morning we had to say good-bye to Jon, Liz and Camden and that was very sad indeed! We will miss you guys terribly but look forward to seeing you somewhere in the US next year!!

When Mom and Dad got back from the airport we packed up some lunches and snowsuits and headed up to Winter Park to see some snow. It was such a beautiful drive...until the last 20 minutes! Can someone say high cliffs?!! We had to drive all the way up to the top of a REALLY high mountain and then part way back down the other side to get to Winter Park. SCARY!!

Once we arrived we found a hotel and asked if there was a sliding hill nearby. There was...but it was closed. We decided to drive through the town and check out the shops. There really wasn't much to the town though. At this point I'm annoyed...I hate random driving. I am so strictly routine that I hate aimless driving without a predetermined destination (some say this would make me a boring person...I say it makes me a great organizer!).

Finally, we saw a park with a picnic table (I'm obviously dealing with Southerners here...who has a picnic in 20 degree weather??). When we park we find some stairs and take those up. At the top is a wonderful surprise..a sliding hill with sleds for all to use. I'm not even kidding! The kids got to go sliding for their first time...and have their first absolutely freezing picnic...all on the same day! I have great pics but they are on Dad's camera and he won't be back until Tuesday so you'll have to wait until then.

When we got home Jim and I decided that we would like to treat Mom and Dad to dinner to thank them for all that they have done for us. Dad wanted Italian so I searched the Internet to find something close. We decided on a restaurant called Cinzetti's that I have seen in Northglenn where I shop sometimes.
We pull up to the restaurant and it's beautiful. While we are being seated we find out it is a buffet. Had I known that, I probably would not have chose it. All those choices...so hard for someone who chooses the entree every time!! It was sooooo yummy though! And they have homemade crepes for dessert (as well as a million other choices!)...there goes my diet!! Everyone loved it and I think I have a new restaurant that I will bring all of my visitors when they come visit me in Colorado (a little bit of a hint, a little bit of a bribe!!).

As we left the restaurant it was snowing. We decided to do some shopping and then head home to play in the snow. What is it with snowing in Colorado? The first time it snowed I was waking my daughter up at 4am. The second time, which is this time, the kids stay up playing in the snow until 11pm. Nuts! Does it not snow during the daytime?! Here is the very first snowman Kaylee ever made and she did it with her Aunt Melissa's help.

Dad and Jim decided at 10:30 at night to go searching for sleds at Walmart. The next morning the snow was still here and so Jim took the kids to a nearby school to go sliding for their second time


I'm telling you...this week has been like a family vacation! We have taken so many mini-trips and had so much fun. It's been so awesome watching my kids, and even my husband, have so many firsts.

And Saturday didn't only start well, with the snow and sliding, but ended well because I got to go on a date with my husband! Yes, me and Jim were ALONE for like four hours!! We left the kids with Mom, Dad and Melissa and Jim and I went Christmas shopping. It was great! I know that isn't everyone's idea of a date...but we have not been alone since July! We'll take what we can get. We did also go to Olive Garden for lunch where I got totally inebriated on one glass of red wine. Go me....SOOOO wild!! haha It was wonderful!

The night ended with a million, or maybe it was only six or seven, games of Skip Bo with Mom and Melissa. So fun!...well, it is when I'm winning! Me, competitive? NOOO!

Today Melissa left to go back to Austin. Mom and Dad left to drive up to Wyoming for a couple of days. And Jimmy went back to work. I'm sad and lonely with my quiet house. But my heart is overflowing with all of the love and laughter I received in the last week...that should keep me going for a little while at least.

1 comment:

Nanny said...

As usual a wonderful read.
xxx