background

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Brighton Blade Column 11-12-08

By Krista Clinton

I love everything fall. I was spoiled growing up in Canada. I thought that fall was fall no matter where you went. Then I moved to Texas and never really paid attention to the loss because I was too smitten with the man who is my husband. Now that I am back in a truly fall state I realize everything I have missed and am enjoying every moment of having it back.

How about the sights of fall? Is there a more beautiful sight anywhere in this world than the changing of the leaves? The colors of yellow, orange, green and red all mixed in with a blue sky behind. Then mix in my beautiful children all bundled up in warm jackets, hats and mittens. I’ve never seen them look more cute. It’s not just simple nature folks, fall is a masterpiece like none other.

We go walking around and while we get to see this beautiful masterpiece we also get to hear the sounds. You know, the wind rustling the leaves, the leaves crinkling under our feet and the sounds of children laughing hysterically as they jump into the big piles they have made. It’s like an orchestra being maestroed by the best of the best.

The smells are absolutely delicious. And I’m not just talking about all of that holiday cooking that’s around the corner. We went to Estes Park to enjoy all of the colors and the first thing we noticed was the smell. Fall has a distinct smell. You can smell the cold, the wind and the leaves. Oh, and the smell of the fireplaces that have started back up again. If they could bottle that up it would be a best selling candle.

Thanksgiving is yummy but so are all the other tastes. It’s back to hot chocolate with marshmallows after we come in from the cold. It’s hot soups, stews and chili for lunches and dinner. Gone are the popsicles and in their place are the hot apple pies and warm banana breads. It’s a banquet of flavors fit for a king.

I think the one thing I have missed the most is the feel of fall. There is that literal feel of the cold stinging my nose and cheeks. But also figuratively, the sense of community that seems to touch me. It’s family over for dinner on Thanksgiving. It’s friends that come for snacks and football on Sunday afternoons. It’s helping the needy by donating food or working at the soup kitchen on Thanksgiving Day. This season touches my heart more than any other.

My prayer for all of us this season is that we stop and enjoy the feast for our senses. That we forget about the busyness of life and sit back and enjoy the season with our family and friends. I am wishing you a fall season that you could experience with reckless childhood abandon. Happy fall!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great article Krista. You are a fabulous writer. I could close my eyes and picture everything that you were writing about. I too love fall and I got to enjoy it twice this year, once here at home and again in Ottawa/Tremblant. Winter is now upon us though, which is my truly favorite season of all. I can't wait to read your articles on your kids first experience with winter. Should be a hoot.

Nanny said...

As usual you are amazing. Fall is my favorite time of the year...I will always remember Jimmy coming to Canada in the fall and loving it also......or was that "YOU"!!!!
Great article Krista.