background

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Berry Patch Farms

Most of you know that I'm a chicken. Truly. And today was no exception. All week I have been talking about taking my kids to Berry Patch Farms...but this morning I woke up and feared the drive. I had no idea where the farm was and had no desire to get on the highway! So, my solution was to take my kids garage saling at 7:30am.

The truth is..the kids loved going to the garage sales. I packed up some banana chocolate chip muffins and some drinks for the car. We brought along some DS systems. Pheasant Ridge was having a community sale so we headed on over to see what we could find. It was so much fun. James found a cool USA sweater and Kaylee found three books. We took a break after the first round and went to the park in East Farms. Another great park! Then it was back to looking for garage sales on our way home. The kids even had fun trying to find the signs to tell us where the next sale would be. Who knew?!

We got home around 11 and I was feeling pretty good about our Saturday morning. Then ten minutes later the arguing began. Ugh! There was no way I was going to get out of doing something bigger with them. So, I looked up the address to Berry Patch Farms and got all the kids into the car. When I plugged the address into the GPS system I was very happy to see that the farm was only 10 minutes away and I only had to go on the highway for one and a half miles. And I survived it!

The Farm was fantastic. We got to ride a tractor that took us out to the strawberry fields and then back to the farm again. We picked raspberries. Funny...my kids swore they didn't like raspberries. Something about being able to taste a berry straight from the tree though...they are all big fans now. I'm thrilled that they tried something new and that it was something healthy! After the berry picking we went out and cut some flowers to put on the kitchen table. The price was right! For a big carton of strawberries, a medium carton of raspberries, 8 flowers and 2 HUGE zucchinis that I got from inside the store (where I also picked up a natural fruit roll up strip in strawberry rhubarb..yum!) it only cost $16. Not bad for an hour and a half of fun with my kids and half of our lunch. I am now a HUGE fan of Berry Patch Farms! I can't wait to go back and try their roasted peppers. Yummers!

Now, for the zucchini. When I was reading some blogs last night, I found one where someone raved about a chocolate zucchini bread that they found on allrecipes.com. I happened to remember it when I was at the farm and picked up the zucchini. I also have to say that I was a big fan of the recipe because it made two loaves of bread. Anything that has chocolate in it and makes double amounts is already tops in my books! The bread was soooo easy to make (especially with my Kaylee shredding the zucchini for me!). And it was sooo delicious to taste! The boys kept calling it cake. I, on the other hand, deluded myself by believing that because there was two cups of zucchini in the recipe that it was a healthy food. Said delusion allowed me to eat double amounts!

Needless to say, it was another great Saturday. I would say perfect, but it wasn't because Jimmy couldn't be with us. He is working all weekends for the next month and we missed him bunches. We were so excited to come home and feed him berries and zucchini bread though...and he appreciated both very much! I'm thinking that next weekend we might try out Brighton's movie theater. Should be fun!






1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish we could be there with you. As a kid I loved going to farms and picking bushels of veggies and fruits for mom to can. It is refreshing to see you can still do it. I need to take Jason to a farm. Miss you.