background

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Valentine's Crafts Galore!

All three children have Valentine's Day parties coming up on Thursday and so today was the day to get the Valentines made. And what crazy fun we had!

Kaylee made the neatest little gift for her friends. We have only done some of hers since they are the most time consuming, but they are also really great for her age. We found the idea at www.familyfun.com . I believe it is called Captive Heart. It's a 20 gauge wire formed into a heart. Put a heart shaped chocolate, with a heart shaped note on the back, inside and then use 32 gauge wire to capture the heart inside. We then attached ribbons to them. Kayee was able to make the big heart herself and attach the ribbon...I got to do the capturing. It's really quite fun and so very pretty.

For once could she stop hating taking pictures??!!
Here is one close up...sans the grumpy girl!

This year we celebrated James' journey through Kindergarten by making pencil flags for his friends. It was great work for James because he had to cut out each of the flags and write his name on the back of each message (I wrote "You're All Write" on the flags for him). He also got to have fun and make a fantastic mess by using glitter and stickers.
Here he is enjoying the glitter....

This is a dark picture but the boys were really enjoying their projects.
James' final product...so very cute!

Jagger was a very big boy and helped me make play dough for all of his friends. It was great fun getting to measure and mix all of the ingredients in the saucepan. It was also the first time he got to use the stove and he did very well holding the handle with one hand and stirring the thickening mess with the other hand.
I have to say, this is some serious chef work going on here!

And what fun would making play dough be if you couldn't test it out before you wrapped it up?!
Now for all of you that I've inspired to get out the craft junk with your kids and have a fabulous time...stop reading now!
For those of us that do this often and know what is to come, enjoy the pictures at my expense!
A girlfriend and I were talking about nannies one day. She said that she wouldn't want one except for potty training. She hates the chore and she wants a "Potty Nanny!" I disagreed and said that I would like a "Clean Up Nanny." I don't want to miss the fun of the crafty activities with my children...but I sure hate the cleanup afterwards!
The disgusting play dough mess...and yes, it's still soaking in my sink!

The paper, wire, scissor mess....
And you know the glitter that James was enjoying...it's been banned from my house! I don't know how well you can see this but when I enlarge it on my computer it makes me cringe! (That big red thing in the middle is dropped play dough.)

The kids enjoyed every minute of our craft-making Saturday. And even though it was a lot to clean up...it was so much more fun than just writing our names on a box of candy.

No comments: