background

Sunday, December 21, 2008

New Testament

The children seem to get up at the same time no matter what time I put them to bed. So, who cares if it's Christmas Break...if I still have to wake up at 7 then they are still going to bed at 8!!

The great thing is that this still leaves me with a bit of "Me Time" at the end of the day. So, I'm here to share my thoughts again.

Actually, I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm coming up on the end of reading the Bible in a year. I haven't made many comments lately. Honestly, I felt like I knew the first four books of the New Testament so well that it was kind of redundant. I'm not sorry I read it though! I think that I took this on as more of a learning experiment, a chance to get closer and learn more about the God that I love and His Son that was sent to save me. I didn't realize how well I knew the gospels. So, with no meanness intended, I didn't enjoy reading the first four books as much as I thought I would.

I have loved reading the New Testament though. It paints a very precise picture of how I am supposed to live my life as a Christian. It is very specific on how to treat others and how I can be the best child of God that I so long to be.

I have been amazed by how much of the New Testament that Paul wrote. I didn't realize he was such a prominent figure.

I still have questions about why we take somethings literal and not others. Paul says that a woman should pray with her head covered in 1 Corinthians 11:5-6. In some religions women do cover up from just their heads to their entire bodies with just their eyes showing. When we were in Russia it was customary for women to wear a head covering to enter the Orthodox Catholic Church. So, do we not do it because it's not politically correct? We say that everything in the Bible is God-breathed. Paul also says that if one man believes that a food is unclean then to that man the food is unclean even though it might not be for his friend. So, I'm guessing there is some leeway. I still find statements such as those confusing.

I have enjoyed the letters to the churches so much that I have even gotten my highlighter out the last few nights (and have done so a few times throughout the NT). Here are some that I found and highlighted.

1 Cor 15:33 Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."

1 Cor 15:58 Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourself fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

1 Cor 16:13-14 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.

2 Cor 13:14 May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. (Isn't that beautiful way to end a letter?!)

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Hebrews 13:6 ..."The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" (This has been another verse to repeat to myself when I am having my nightmares.)

Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

James 1:2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

James 1:12 Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

James 1:22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.

One of my very favorite passages of all times is in the New Testament. It is Matthew 6:25-34:

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Tomorrow I will read 2 Peter and by Christmas Day I will be starting Revelations and end the year from there. I have truly enjoyed the experience....some chapters much more than others! I have decided that I will follow this up by doing Daily Devotions throughout next year.

Did it change my life? Well, my life did change dramatically this year!! Do I think there is a correlation...absolutely! On New Year's Eve I will post a list of 100 things that I did this year...be looking for that. I'm sure there will be Christmas postings between now and then.

Thank you so much for allowing me to share this journey with you. And thank you to those that have been praying for me. It is an experience that I think that every one of you should try...and I'ld love to hear about it if you do!

In Him,
Krista

No comments: