background

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Life List

I told you...I like lists!

I read a book about a week ago called "Next Thing on My List" by Jill Smolinski. The premise of the book is that the main character offers a girl she just met a ride home from her Weight Watchers meeting. On the way home they get into an accident and the girl dies. The main character finds, in the wreckage, a list that the girl has of things she wanted to do before she turned 25 in the next year. She has only crossed off two things on the list. The main character then sets out to finish the list for her. And I did not spoil it for you because you get all of that information in the first chapter. It's a phenomenal book.

It really got me thinking about what I would put on my list. I am at an age now that I also know what my limitations are and what sounds interesting but is something that I would absolutely not do. Like jump out of a perfectly good plane to go parachuting...sounds interesting but I would hate it and have no intention of ever trying it..even if my death sentence is handed to me tomorrow! 10 years ago I probably would have changed a few things about my body...make my chin more prominent, even out my eyes, lipo that one bulge in my tummy...but I've come to be okay with my body so that's really not on the list for me either. But I do have some things that I would love to accomplish. Here is a start:

1. White Water Rafting.
2. Run a 5K.
3. Participate in a triathlon.
4. Try waitressing.
5. Cut down my own Christmas tree (not very environmentally friendly..but just once!!).
6. Be completely debt-free.
7. Take my family to the beach for a week.
8. Find a church home!
9. Find a job that I can do from home.
10. Start Jagger's scrapbook.

My list is not complete. I realized after reading this book that I am really content. I am happy with my life and I don't feel like I would have many regrets or wants if I were told that I only had a short while to live. There are always some things that we want to try or do though and so I am thinking this might be my New Year's Resolution this year. I might make a list of 10 things that I want to accomplish in the next year and see how many I can cross off. They don't have to be big (one of the ones in the book was to go bra-less for a day!! I've had kids though and I have no desire whatsoever to do this! But small things are good is my point.). Since I am accomplishing last year's goal of reading through the Bible in a year I feel like I really want to have something big to do every year. I think this would be a fun way to go through next year...or at least an adventurous way.

This book has not left my mind since I finished reading it. I would highly recommend it to anyone. It's funny chick-lit...not a sappy Oprah find. I promise you that you will think differently when you are done. I would love to hear some of the things you would put on your list. Leave your top choices in the comments. I can't wait to see the responses!!

9 comments:

Kevin Denke said...

Krista, this is so fun. You've inspired me. I pledge to go bra-less for a day – I think I can do it.

Christy said...

I go bra-less all day all the time...not outside of my house, of course. ;) Funny you should mention this book. Second BC is going through the One Month to Live study right now, and it's made me think about things I might do differently if I knew my time was limited. I'm struggling to get past the "right now" though. If I can get through each day without strangling a child or running away myself, I feel like I've accomplished something! I bet you'd like the movie Bucket List if you haven't seen it yet. Sounds very similar to your book. Some of the things on my list are...go to the east coast for the fall foilage, visit Europe, see my children graduate, marry and have children, get my house decluttered and organized, also get completely debt free, learn how to relate to my kids so as not to get so frustrated every single day of my life!

Anonymous said...

I think you should mention that the list is 10 things she wants to do before she turns (I think its 30) and not that is because she was told she had a short time left to live. I think this gives you room to at least pick some things that are attainable and yet, if you don't get to them, its ok cause there's more time. Might make people think differently about what they write on their list. K, now I've given my two cents, I'll think about my list and comment again. : )

clinton-family said...

I am definately going to get that book today! It sounds great....haha now one of the things on my list will be finishing it with an infant! Haha, I hardly ever have time to read! I think on the top of my list would be to visit Europe, become debt- free, run 13 miles in the Marine Corps Marathon next year and finally get my precious baby boy to sleep through the night!

Melissa E. said...

I like lists, too, but I've never made a list of "stuff I want to do before whatever happens." Hmmm...I don't really feel the pull do do any "daredevil stunts." I guess it would just be things like: Take my kids to Alaska to see where I lived, go to Hawaii, go to Disney, find the "perfect gift" for Jeff and really surprise him, get a really awesome camera and learn how to take professional quality photographs, learn how to design a web page, find the perfect work-from-home job, spend more individual time with each child, be "snowed in" in a mountain lodge with hot chocolate and a roaring fire and some books, and - just once - go on a shopping spree when "money is no object."

Life With the Hobans said...

This is hard, let's see.
1. See Russia, China and Egypt.
2. Join and attend a gym.
3. Get lasik.
4. Own my home free and clear.
5. Feel peaceful.

Anonymous said...

Wow Kris was this book written for me? lol

My #1 thing is to go sky diving, with Krista!

Anonymous said...

Hey Krista:
Good post. I haven't read the book you mention but it sounds very similiar to the Bucket List with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, great movie. Some of the things I still want to do before I "kick the bucket" are:
1. Go to Egypt to see the Pyramids and ride a camel.
2. Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro and then go on a Safari.
3. Visit England and travel by train through Europe.
4. Fall in love again.
5. Become a Grandmother.
6. Take lessons to become a gourmet chef.
7. Get a boob job (I am a little afraid of this one) but after 3 kids (who sucked the life out of them) they need some tlc.

This is all I can think of for now but I know there are still a bijillion thinks I want to do. My list changes constantly.

Take care.

Sara said...

Krista, here are my 10
1. Watch my girls grow into wonderful adults
2. Run a 5K
3. Become debt free
4. Have an organized home
5. Take my family to Yellowstone
6. Travel by train
7. Waste a whole day
8. Road trip with no destination
9. Learn to dance
10. Take care of my parents