background

Saturday, October 11, 2008

My First Column

You can not read my column online, you must actually buy the paper to see it. Many of my friends and family from Texas and Canada have asked to see the column so I am posting it here. This is more of an introduction piece. My next column is already written and much more fun and focused. Anyways, enjoy!


Krista Clinton
Bright New World

I'm all about checking out the cool stuff to do in "Colorado." You know the "Colorado" I'm talking about. The one that people that don't live here think about. Like when I first visited Texas and I got off the plane expecting everyone to be wearing cowboy hats, driving pick up trucks and on their way to drill oil. When I first came to Colorado I expected mountains, rapids and hiking trails. Now, don't get me wrong, Colorado is not lacking in any of those things and has a million more small wonders that my family has been enjoying seeking out. But Colorado becomes something totally different when you move in and try to start a new life without family or friends.
Honestly, when we heard that we might move to the Denver area, we just looked at a map and started picking cities to live in. I finally picked Brighton because I liked the name...made me think of Brighton Jewelry. Don't stop reading now, I'm not really that snobby…it was just a mental picture that the name created. I liked the names Cherry Creek and Greenwood Village too but that was way out of our price range. So, Brighton it was..and is!
When we came up here to check out the area for the first time I talked to some locals and decided on the school I wanted my kids to go to which gave my husband the general boundaries in which to choose a house. Then I headed back to Texas and my husband had a month to find us a new house before the three kids and I came back to Colorado. Yes, I did let my husband pick out a house without me! I closed up the house in Texas (just in time...we missed the hurricane by only three weeks, whew! My husband started work and bought us a perfect house (except my horrible kitchen. Read: willing to have free kitchen renovations done in my house in return for raving review!!) in a perfect neighborhood. We were able to close and move into the new house the day that the kids and I arrived.
We are trying to learn Brighton. We’ve had to find the library (can’t wait until they build the new one), the bank, the McDonalds (three kids!). The kids and I have been to Berry Patch Farms and had a wonderful time. At Palizzi Farms the prices were great and the produce was absolutely yummy looking (and tasty once we got home to dig in!). We checked out the movie theater this weekend and even the kids commented on how nice it is. I love to hound anyone who will help me try to find the hidden places here in Brighton. The poor women at the bus stop...I pounce on them any chance I can. I am starving for friendship as well as pumping them for information on where to go and what to do. I'm sure they have started coming to the stop just a little later than they used to!
We’re always ready for a new adventure. Feel free to check out our other “Colorado” adventures on my blog at jkkclinton.blogspot.com. You can also email me your suggestions on what to try next at kristaclinton@hotmail.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Krista~

I am so excited that God is giving you such an awesome opportunity with the newspaper! What a great article!!! We all miss you around here. It is still weird to look down and not see your vehicles in the driveway or see the beautiful sidewalk drawings! It is also still strange not to see you, Jimmy and the kids at church.

Keep enjoying the beauty around you...and be prepared...the next hurricane might just find us on your doorstep!

Love,
Angie & Gang