background

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Another Big Milestone

And this time it's ME!!

I finished reading the Old Testament last night. I was sooo thrilled and proud when I got to the last chapter and verse of Malachi!

Some highlights.

I was surprised by the book of Job...you can read about that in an earlier post.

King Solomon was my favorite king. I loved his wisdom.

Proverbs needs to be read much slower than what I did!! Like maybe a proverb per day until you get through them all. They are so full of wisdom but I think you lose some of that when you lump them together as I did.

I loved the book of Esther. I've read that one before and I think Esther rocks! It's a short book and if you are looking for a great read, Esther is it. She could still be a modern day hero!!

My favorite verses are
Psalm 4:8 "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."
This one has been repeated many times over when I am trying to fall asleep!!

Proverbs 30:8-9 "Keep falsehood and lies from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, "Who is the Lord?" Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God."
It's tough to be faithful. It's tough to not want to have more...especially in this world that we live in. It would be nice to keep up with the Jones'! But truly, I don't want to. I want enough to get me through today. God got me through yesterday and I have faith that He'll take care of me tomorrow. So, I just need to know that the here and now is taken care of. That way I can remember to always give God the glory!!

In the end, I feel like I need to read it all again! I had a hard time getting through parts and some parts I still don't understand. I would love a bible with commentary so that I can dissect the passages. I also would love to read it in the Message version (it's on my birthday list, hint hint Jimmy). I love knowing what preachers are talking about now when they make references to the Old Testament.

I will say that my view has changed about reading the bible. Before I just wanted to read it to say that I've read it. Now, I want to know it. Inside and out, backwards and forwards. In Texas everyone I know goes to church and are Christians. Here in Colorado I see so much more diversity. This morning I had breakfast with a Mormon and with someone who does not go to church. We had an easy conversation about why we each chose the road we chose and exactly what it means to believe in each of our particular faiths. It was in this moment that I knew that I wanted to know everything that I can possibly know so that I know what I truly stand for and why I stand for it. It's easy enough to say I'm a christian and give my testimony about what God has done in my life, it's much harder to have a debate on my beliefs and answer questions about God unless I've read the bible.

I still have until the end of the year to read the New Testament. I'm kind of excited because one of the bus stop moms invited me to join her weekly bible study. I went this week and it's a Beth Moore study titled Jesus: The One and Only. How awesome that I would be reading through the life of Jesus now in Matthew, Mark. Luke and John while getting to study his life in bible study at the same time! This, I know, will be an awesome experience!

God is so good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God is good. I liked your blog Krista and am very proud of you. It's great what you are doing.

Diane

Anonymous said...

Wow sorry to see that you are falling in the religious trap. Dont prosletyze too much.