background

Monday, October 6, 2008

The Perfect Afternoon

My husband is finally off for four whole days!! We are on day three and it has been really nice having him around. I will say, though, that when you only have four days off and you know that he will be going back for another ton of days in a row, it puts a lot of pressure on making the four days perfect. Which, of course, always ends up with someone's (me) hopes being shattered. Because even though he is off, life does go on. Meals still need to be made, children still need to go to school, the house still needs to be cleaned. As much as I want to linger in his love and be showered with his attention for the whole four days..it never happens that way.

Surprisingly my favorite moment came this afternoon. This morning we had gone to Target and found footballs for only $3. Today after lunch the boys wanted to try roller skating. James has roller skate shoes and Jagger has the kind that you slip over the running shoes. It was a hoot watching them go up and down the alley way. I tried to hold on to both of them at the same time and I couldn't stop them from ending up on their bums! Watching Jimmy watching us was also quite funny.

Once the roller skates came off the boys headed for the footballs. Jimmy and I tossed to each other and then the boys started to toss to us. We practiced kicking (I'm surprisingly good at that!). James tried to do the hutt hutt and ended up hiking the ball between his legs with the momentum smacking his head into the ground. He was such a good sport about it. Jimmy tried to teach me how to take ten steps, hang left and catch the ball. Y'all...I'm not so good at that! I have a lot more respect for the pros after today!!

I wish my husband could be home with us everyday!! And 20 years from now when the kids have grown and are off starting families of their own and my Jimmy is retired and we're running my dream business of a bed and breakfast....I will be showered with attention as much as I need it and linger in his love as long as I want to...for now, it's stolen moments in the craziness of our chaotic lives!!

No comments: