background

Monday, May 25, 2009

Side Trip

As much fun as camping was, it was also cold and rainy this weekend, so we decided to take a trip a couple miles down the road to the Rocky Mountains. I am always amazed at the new places we find to explore and how every one of them becomes my new favorite place.

Well, except this first one. There is a parking spot and then you get to walk up on this ridge and look down. This is about 12000 ft elevation here. Obviously you aren't looking over at a 12000 ft drop but it's still way further than I would ever want to fall!

This is only about a 15 ft drop here.
This is right beside where we parked our car. I love how they have photo ops every two miles...you just pull over and they have the perfect boulder/ledge/sign for you to take your picture on/with/beside.

I was way too scared on this ledge thingy so I sat on the edge and told my husband to hold on to my kids for dear life so I could take the picture. Aren't they adorable?!
Some complete stranger managed to talk some courage into me so that I could get in the picture while he took it for us. I was off the ledge about three seconds later! But we will always have the picture! haha

This is a little creek that we found in a spot called the Hidden Valley. Much more my style...I LOVE the word valley!!

The kids wanted to touch the water and see how cold it was. Crazy cold for the end of May! The kids thought that was kind of neat though.

Then we did a bit of scenic driving, still in the Rockies, and ran into this herd (?) of elk. They were right off the side of the road. Amazing!

And a waterfall we found called Fall River. We found a campsite right beside the Falls and they let us drive around in it. Very rustic and beautiful. Tents only...and no hookups or showers. That just might be our next getaway!
We are still so loving Colorado....so much to explore! It will take us years to see all that we want to see here.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Haysmont said...

We were just at RMNP this past weekend! We had out-of-town guests, and you CAN'T come to Colorado and miss Rocky so we insisted that they let us take them for a day trip.

Beautiful pictures! It's awe-inspiring to be looking down at the start of the mighty Colorado River as it meanders as a simple stream, knowing that it is going to become the lifeblood of the entire Southwest.

If you get the chance, go to Rocky when the bull elk are bugling. We went last fall and it was spectacular. If you can camp, even better. The calls are hauntingly beautiful, eerie and mysterious as they echo through the trees. The Rut usually starts in September.