background

Friday, August 29, 2008

Arriving in Colorado

I keep thinking of what to write of the drive to Colorado. And I keep not writing things that are happening here because I know I have to get through this hurdle first. Unfortunately though, it was a traumatic experience and I've forgotten everything! hahaha No really, it was not a whole lot of fun, but not traumatic. My wonderful mother-in-law drove with us and we took turns driving. The kids were miserable. It wasn't like it was a vacation though and we got to stop at every cool thing we saw. I was stressed, we all wanted to get there, we were all dealing with feelings for people that we left behind in Baytown..it just wasn't fun for 16 hours. We made it though and when we saw Jimmy and the Rockies...it was all worth it!

So, my house! I love it. Jimmy did an excellent job picking out a house for us without me! Only two issues...it's three bedrooms, not four, so our boys are sharing which is just new for us. The other is my kitchen. While it is big and beautiful, when you try to use it you realize how weird it is. There is so much walking back and forth, from one end of the kitchen to the other, it's just odd.

My very favorite thing about the house is that the garage is on the back down an alley. Only about eight of us houses share the alley so there is no traffic. The boys go outside and ride their bikes all over the place. And as long as I can see them from the window, it really doesn't bother me when they go out by themselves. I also love the windows. In Texas you can have thin windows because there is not really any extreme weather, here, the windows are thick and beautiful. Odd thing to love, I know!

My favorite thing to do is to drive my kids to school. When I pull out of my neighborhood I go up a slight hill. When I pull up to the top I see nothing but the beautiful Rockies in the distance in front of me. Oh my wow! Breathtaking! I can't wait to get my kids off to school just to see that sight!

Okay, so the schools here are different. Texas is very structured and you are always with a teacher or a parent. Here, the bell rings and everyone runs out of class and gets home how they want. My poor Kaylee on the first day, everyone else came out and she stayed back. Finally the teacher brought her out and said that Kaylee had no idea where to go. We have a meeting place now so she knows where I am. Kindergartners are more structured so James is always waiting for me on the grass.

Okay, here's a funny story. I was talking to Mrs. Kelly (Kaylee's teacher) and then this mom walks up with this boy with a small aquarium looking thing. Mom asks if it is okay for him to bring it to class and Mrs. Kelly enthusiastically tells him to bring it on in. I then ask what it is as the boy walks in and mom tells me it's a snake he found in the garden. I said "OH MY GOODNESS!! I WILL NOT BE VISITING THIS CLASSROOM!!!" Who just lets kids bring a snake to class??!! Kaylee came home and said how they let the snake out and pet it and how the boy kept it in his desk all day. Are you kidding me people?! And this morning Kaylee tells me about the tarantula they have in their classroom because they just finished learning about them. OH MY GOSH!!! So, when I picked Kaylee up today she asked if she found a butterfly if she could bring it to class. I told her that it is NOT NORMAL to just find animals and bring them to class. There has to be laws against this right?!! I now have a phobia about visiting my child's classroom!

Okay there's more but the kids are yelling and screaming (imagine this happening inside a small vehicle if you want a better idea of how my trip here went!). I must go be Supermom now and solve all their world disasters!!

Til' next time......

2 comments:

Lesley At Sarita Farms said...

I am in Tennessee in our hotel room all by myself!!! YAY!!! After 17 hours in the car with 5 kids I need it!!! (we have the Coker twins with us)
Anyway, I miss you already......keep updating and give the kiddos a hug for me!!!!
I know Marc is going to miss picking on you.

Life With the Hobans said...

Welcome to Colorado. Your words are inspiring, sometimes we forget just how beautiful our state is and it takes a new pair of eyes to remind us. Welcome again!