background

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Zion National Park

Today we got up and had a bit of breakfast in our hotel room (homemade muffins that I brought from home and mini-cereals that the kids ate out of cups with milk that we bought at the store last night. Breakfast at our hotel would have cost us $60...WHAAATTT???).

We threw on some hiking clothes and runners and then it was time to go explore the canyons. We took two trails and played in a creek. I'll just go through the day with the pictures.

This is at the trailhead for Riverside Trail which allows you to walk through the Narrows. However, the river was up and too strong so we did not get to continue once you have to walk into the river. Boo to that! But what a beautiful hike on a nice paved trail.

We tried to get a bunch of pictures of everyone holding up walls and such. This is the only one that looks like it might actually be happening. Isn't our SuperHero Jagger so sweet to hold this rock out of our way for us!!

Okay, so there is a sign at the trailhead that says feeding wildlife will cost you a $100 fine. I don't think anyone has read this sign but me. These squirrels were bound and determine to jack some food from somebody! And they were evil looking. One chased James and he ran away screaming like a girl! Soo funny!

I never get tired of seeing Kaylee and James side by side when they both seem happy about it.

The views were spectacular!

Jimmy enjoys scaring the crap out of me. One false move and he would have been river debris!

Kaylee can find comfort anywhere.

So, after the first trail we went on another called Weeping Rock. It was only a half mile return hike. On the way we saw a deer in the clearing. I looked down to get my camera and when I looked back up I couldn't find the deer. Everyone else, and I mean there was a crowd, was like "it's still right there." Kaylee had to take the picture. Finally some nice gentleman got in front of me and said I was looking too far left and showed me where it was. I felt like such an airhead!

Ya, so I LOVE this picture!

Taking our picture at the top of the Weeping Rock trail.

Another spectacular view.

Back at the trailhead for the Weeping Rock was a creek for the kids to play in. While we were playing some boys came down with a small frog. When their families called them they gave the frog to James to play with.

I love these next two pics of James.


James' friend, the frog.

Great picture of Jagger before he fell in the water....

New favorite pic of Kaylee.

I do love brother pictures.

And this would be my very sad Jagger after he fell in the water!!

Jagger always wants to climb trees and they are always too big for him. He finally found a tree trunk that was just his size!

Doesn't this look like a HUGE FRIGGIN BLUEBIRD???

Okay...so maybe not from that angle! But I swear it did from mine! I was talking to Jimmy and when I turned around I saw his stupid water bottle sitting there and thought it was a bluebird on steroids and totally freaked out! My husband thought this was hysterical of course and promptly took pictures!

After our 4 hours at the Canyon we headed back to the hotel for a couple of hours of swimming. We got nicely toasted and then showered, dressed and headed off to Oscar's for dinner where we had some amazingly good hamburgers with surprisingly delicious sweet potato fries. On a side note...Jimmy had the Whoopass burger which is described to have jalapenoes, lettuce, tomatoes, more jalapenoes, green chilies...do they not realize that I have to share a hotel room with only one bathroom with this man??!!
It was a great day. I think everyone will sleep well. We will try to get one more hike in after breakfast and then we will head out for our 5 hour drive to Anaheim. The kids sure are excited to get to Disneyland on Monday morning!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the picture of Jagger holding up the rock!

-Matt