background

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Update

It's funny that my last post is that I ran 4 miles...especially when you read this post.

After my personal best I followed up the next day with 2 miles and then a 5K the following day. I was on track of having my highest mileage week ever...

I have been having heart palpitations. Started back in Colorado when we were starting to make the move. I only had them a couple of times there. In September and October of this past year I had them for about 2 weeks. I was also under a ton of stress and going through a major low point in my life...so I naturally attributed them to that. Then they came back about 3 weeks ago. And I am doing better than I have in a long time so it was time to see the DR.

Went to a new GP since I don't have one. He does an EKG and says this is not right and you need to go see a cardiologist, today, now! He makes the appt for me and an hour later I'm in the cardiologist's office. I've texted a friend and asked her to start a prayer chain and I'm about to puke from the stress. Cardiologist sees my EKG and says you have 2nd Degree AV Block (meaning there is an interruption in the electronic signal in my heart). He does a stress test and an echo cardiogram. He says my heart looks good and responds well under stress and to continue my regular schedule and I can keep running. But if the palpitations persist or I start having pain then I will need a pacemaker in the future..even gives me a pamphlet on the pacemaker.

Stress much? The next two weeks I completely stop running, feel nothing but pain in my chest and have a ton of palpitations. I finally make a second opinion appt with another cardiologist who works for St. Lukes. He says that I am dealing with anxiety. I start to cry and he tells me, very kindly, that I need not to be emotional but objective, that there is really nothing wrong with me. He says plenty of people have this AV Block and go on their whole lives without even knowing it. It's benign. I mention the pacemaker and he dismissed it. He put me on some antidepressants and told me to really go back to running and move on.

Two days later..feeling much better!

Not happy with the first 2 doctors who scared the crap out of me...but much better!

I have, however, revised my New Years Resolution. I will NOT run everyday. I will work out at least 5 days per week. I will give myself 1 or 2 days to rest and recover. I will still run most of the time but will sprinkle in some swimming and weight training to even things out.

It's been a crazy last couple of weeks...and trust me, you do look at everything differently when you are confronted with a diagnosis that you may need heart surgery in the near future. I don't want to ever go through that again. I will do my best to stay stress-free and healthy so I won't ever have to worry about my kids growing up without me.

So, that's it. Just another dramatic tale in my life that ended up being nothing! Next!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Nothing is a good thing! Glad you shared your run with me today. Thanks for taking it easy on me. Looking forward to the training ahead!

Unknown said...

Interesting post, take a few minutes to breath at least.