background

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Healthy Breakfast

My kids are like any other...they would love to wake up to Lucky Charms, Coco Puffs and Fruit Loops every day of the week. However, they are known as 2 things in our house...sugar cereal and Saturday cereal. I screw up as a parent on an hourly basis but I do believe in a healthy breakfast to start their school day. It gets their bodies working right and puts their brains in learning mode. Right now they are stuck on 2 breakfasts that we alternate every couple of days. I thought it would be fun to share those recipes with you.

Breakfast Milkshake (it's a smoothie but don't tell Jagger that!)
Mix all the following ingredients into a blender. This makes enough for 4 kids or 2 adults.
1 cup plain non-fat yogurt
1 cup milk
2 TBSP wheat germ (in cereal aisle at Target or Krogers)
3 TBSP peanut butter (I use Jif natural)
2 cups frozen berries (we use Target brand frozen triple berry...kids don't like others I've tried.)
1 whole banana
Puree it all and serve. Soooo good!

The next is a bran muffin...but don't say eww yet. It's got a yummy sweet taste to it. The kids like a couple of slices of cheddar cheese with it and a fruit..usually grapes or strawberries. I'm telling you, this fills them up and it so so so good for them! Don't forget to serve it with a big glass of milk..YUM! It's a recipe that I got from Parents magazine about 10 years ago and nobody is tired of it yet!

Bran Muffins-makes 16 muffins. We put them in a big ziploc bag, freeze them, take them out when we want one and heat up for 30 seconds in microwave. It's like having fresh warm muffins every morning!
Preheat oven to 425

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsps baking soda
1 tsp salt
mix all together

in separate bowl mix the wet ingredients:
2 cups lowfat buttermilk (I use 2 TBSPs of vinegar mixed with milk to make 2 cups..don't purchase the buttermilk...too expensive and the other is easier)
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I've used canola too and it turns out the same)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 egg
2 egg whites
Whisk together
Then pour into dry ingredients and whisk together.
Add 3 cups of Bran Flakes (you could also use Raisin Bran but we don't like the raisins)

Put into greased or lined muffin tin and cook for 15 minutes.

If you try one or both of these recipes please let me know what you think. My family LOVES them!!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I made muffins for Mom and Nick last night and one of the batches turned out dry and crappy. I will definitely try your muffin recipe on the weekend and let you know how they turn out! : )

audrey said...

good mum!