background

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Brighton Blade 9-23-09

Here is an article that I wrote that ran this week. Mark just called me this morning to let me know that they received several leads from it so far....so fun to hear that people are reading and even taking some of my suggestions!! I love it!

A Well of Trouble

I just had the nicest gentleman in my house. It was very clear to me that the apple didn’t fall too far from the tree. Let me explain.

Having lived in Texas for 10 years, my family is pretty new to basements. And brand new to window wells. Even when I lived in Canada I don’t remember seeing any window wells. Apparently they are on the newer buildings but when I was a child it was the tiny little windows just up at the top of the wall.

Having three precious children though, I immediately saw the security hazard with the window well. It’s the perfect spot for someone to jump in, undetected, break a window and then have free roam of the house. Frankly, the idea keeps me up at night!

We had originally planned on putting up a fence but we really like our neighbors. Our children run over to the neighbor’s yard, and their child to ours. When caught sitting on our deck the neighbors come over to join in dinner and drinks. Besides, between our two yards together we have a perfect field for a little game of pick-up football. Who would want to put an end to that?!

So, my next option was to get window well covers. And it just so happens that I got an ad in the mail just at the time we were finalizing that decision. First of all, the ad is adorable with a little boy and a dog named “Shakeabutt” sitting on top of the cover to show that it can hold weight. That dog has become a celebrity in this house. My little guy still carries around the ad most places or hangs it on the fridge and looks at it all the time. So cute!

The name of the company is McIntosh Windows and Doors. I placed a call on Monday afternoon and the owner, John McIntosh, was out the next morning to give me a free estimate and take measurements. He was such a nice person. I told my husband that even though he has been doing this for over 25 years he was incredibly gracious for my business. It was such a pleasant visit.

Which leads me to the nice gentleman I had in my home today. His name was Mark McIntosh and he is the owner’s son. It has been just over three weeks since John took the measurements and the covers were ready to be put on. I received a phone call with this news this morning and Mark had the covers installed by 2pm today. Mark and I enjoyed a lovely conversation while he worked and he still had the covers installed in 30 minutes!

It was an absolute joy to have these men in my home and doing work to make my home more secure. We are living in a time of economic stress which means there are more security issues relating to burglaries right now. If you are looking to make your home a little more secure by adding window well covers, I suggest you give McIntosh Windows and Doors a call at 303-460-1467 and let them know that your friend Krista Clinton sent them your way. It’s a security decision you won’t ever regret!

No comments: