background

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmas Reads

Yes, I know it's been forever.  Let's just scoot right past that and move on to the post though....

Two years ago I decided that I would try to read a classic book each year.  Maybe not always a classic, maybe a series, maybe a book that everyone seems to have read and I've never wanted to.  It has to be a book that is a bit daunting though.  I know, weird right?  I read so much during the year and I truly enjoy it.  I like the idea of "forcing" myself outside of my box and into a book that many people think is a great and I have to finally read it and figure out what's so great about it.

So, speaking of daunting, I started out two years ago with my first tackle: Anna Kerinina.  Oh my word that was a long book!  900 and something pages if I remember correctly.  I actually enjoyed it though.  And it is really a very cool feeling to be able to say that I've read it....albeit a bit hard to find a way to work that into many conversations!

Last year I bribed James, who was 8 at the time, to read The Chronicle of Narnia series.  I wanted him to be able to ask questions and wanted to know what he was talking about when he told me about them...so I read them too!  I LOVED THEM!!  One of the best series I've ever read and I believe that every child should read them at some point.  So, so, so good!

This year....The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings series.  I tried to watch The Lord of the Rings three times and all three times was done twenty minutes in.  I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in this series.  However, people love them!  And truth be told, I usually much prefer the books over the movies.  So, I'm giving it a go.  I'm more than halfway through The Hobbit and while it is not my typical read I really am enjoying it.  The story is good.  The writing is better.  Maybe this won't be so bad after all. 

Anyways, this year I have been talking to the boys about setting up their own reading goals for Christmas break.  James, who is now nine, is going to tackle the first Harry Potter.  I hope he loves it and wants to read the rest.  I really enjoyed Harry Potter.  He does not love to read though, so yes, there was a slight bribe involved.  Read the whole book and I'll get the movie for us to watch together.

As for Jagger, I'm not sure.  He is seven.  Any suggestions?  We just read Freckle Juice which is my absolute favorite from when I was a child.  He has read the Winnie the Pooh novel which is a great classic.  He loves to read and reads at a pretty high level; he's already read all of The Diary of a Wimpy Kid books.  What would you suggest I should encourage him to put on his list??

And...what about you?  What are you reading?  I need to start making a list to tackle in 2013!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, that is such a great idea I just got the kindle and its great I love reading but sometimes its hard when im trying to hold the book and i just started reading fifty shades of grey which i find is a hard read as how much detail it goes into im still only on the first one its really long im not even half way and im on the 12th chapter

Deborah456 said...

Hey Krista, nice to see that you are blogging again. Getting your kids to read is such a great plan, reading really does enrich their lives. Both of my kids were great readers. When Kyle was very young, he would find a quiet corner where no one could bother him and be surrounded by his books. He was so content when he was reading. One of his favorite books that he read over and over again was Riki Tiki Tavi by Rudyard Kipling. I believe he was either 7 or 8 at the time. Another favorite book was Indian in the Cupboar by Lynne Reid Banks. Both kids loved The Secret Garden by Francis Hodgson Burnett.

As for me I have just been reading Lee Child's series of books about Jack Reacher. There are 17 books in the series and I have only read 4 so far. Great read and I love Jack Reacher. I also just finished Steve Jobs and really enjoyed the book. I didn't like Steve to begin with but ended up liking him by the end of the book.

The only classic I read in the past year was David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. I absolutely love it and would highly recommend you read it.

Happy reading and best wish for a happy and healthy new year.

Auntie Deborah