background

Monday, July 6, 2009

Hanging Lake

On the morning of July 4th we decided to head out to Glenwood Springs to check out a hike to Hanging Lake that our friend Cassie had told us about. I think it is my new favorite place on Earth!

The hike is 1.2 miles uphill and listed as difficult. I wish now that I would have taken a picture of the sign warning how difficult the hike is and that you should have comfortable shoes, lots of water, etc etc etc. We were a little worried about the kids...but they were incredible. They did the whole hike and didn't complain at all!

There was a waterfall beside us during the whole hike. Any time that we would come to an area that was even remotely flat, we would stop and play in the water to cool down a bit.

Cute brother picture...


Okay...so totally not a good picture of me. But, it is one of the few pictures where you can see the steepness of the hike. And this was a "flatter" area. It was so steep that you could feel your muscles in your thighs with every single step!

Jagger was very excited to see one of the bridges had "his" number on it.

At the top of the hike was the most difficult part. They actually had railings partially to stop you from falling down the hill and partially so you could pull up on them to get to the next level. It was pretty much like walking up a rock ladder. It only lasted about 30 feet but it was pretty scary with the kids. They weren't fazed at all and made it up just fine.
Once we made it to the top...we got the prize we had been waiting for. The beautiful lake and waterfall (I do have to tell you that we don't know why it's called Hanging Lake. It's supposed to look like it is suspended on the mountain but Jimmy and I didn't get that at all).
A picture Kaylee took.

There was a log in the middle of the lake and I think I surprised Jimmy but jumping out and walking out into the middle of it. And went even further and told the two older kids to walk out to me.
A rare picture of these two...

Mama and her babies.

Look how far out we were! And check out that scene!!

Family picture at the top.

And a family pic near the waterfall on the way back down.


A view from the bottom.

Walking back to the car...this is the worst part. The hike is over but you still have to walk a quarter of a mile to the car! And my legs are killing me!! And the kids are now tired! ARE WE THERE YETTT??

I was so incredibly proud of my kids today. If they can do this hike, they can do anything. It was tough on me and Jim, so I know they pushed hard to make it to the top. It was an awesome hike and probably my most favorite thing I've done in Colorado so far.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

This is very close to where we live in Glenwood. Hanging Lake is one of my favorite hikes - Grizzly Creek is also an excellent one if you come back this way. Not as steep, but narrow in some spots. Looks like you had alot of fun!